Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Mon February 17, 2014
Former KY Sec. State Grayson Passed Over for Transy-U President's Position
Transylvania University's new president comes to Kentucky from New England, but not Harvard. Dr. Seamus Carey will lead the Lexington private school. He is currently the dean of the College of Arts and Sciences at Sacred Heart University in Fairfield, Connecticut.
Carey succeeds Owen Williams who came to the liberal arts college in 2010. Williams received a vote of no confidence from the faculty last summer.
Transylvania Board Chair William T. Young Junior says “Dr. Carey was chosen from a strong pool of candidates because of his dedication to liberal arts and his academic and administrative experience, first as a philosophy professor and most recently as dean.”
Carey was chosen by the Board of Trustees following a week of forums during which four finalists visited the campus.
Former Kentucky Secretary of State Trey Grayson was among three finalists for the post. Grayson currently leads the Harvard Institute on Politics. Grayson has also been rumored to be a candidate for Murray State University's presidential post.
Carey begins his new responsibilities as Transylvania president this summer.