Most Active Stories
- US 641 South Widening Receives Top Priority on Purchase Area Projects List
- James Comer’s Quest To ‘Pass A Bold Agenda’ Gets Bumpy
- Kentucky Sees Big Change in the Number of People Who Drink Alcohol
- More Patients Visiting ERs Despite Affordable Care Act
- MSU Alumnus Featured in National Geographic DocuDrama "American Genius"
Mon February 17, 2014
Former KY Sec. State Grayson Passed Over for Transy-U President's Position
Transylvania University's new president comes to Kentucky from New England, but not Harvard. Dr. Seamus Carey will lead the Lexington private school. He is currently the dean of the College of Arts and Sciences at Sacred Heart University in Fairfield, Connecticut.
Carey succeeds Owen Williams who came to the liberal arts college in 2010. Williams received a vote of no confidence from the faculty last summer.
Transylvania Board Chair William T. Young Junior says “Dr. Carey was chosen from a strong pool of candidates because of his dedication to liberal arts and his academic and administrative experience, first as a philosophy professor and most recently as dean.”
Carey was chosen by the Board of Trustees following a week of forums during which four finalists visited the campus.
Former Kentucky Secretary of State Trey Grayson was among three finalists for the post. Grayson currently leads the Harvard Institute on Politics. Grayson has also been rumored to be a candidate for Murray State University's presidential post.
Carey begins his new responsibilities as Transylvania president this summer.