Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
- Hemp Oil Not a Source of CBD Which Could Be Used in Epilepsy Treatments
Mon September 12, 2011
"Young Monroe" musical premieres in Owensboro
By Rose Krzton-Presson
Owensboro, KY – The International Bluegrass music Museum in Owensboro is celebrating that late Bill Monroe's 100th birthday this week. The celebration kicked off today with performances and the opening of new exhibits in the museum. Tonight is the premiere of the musical production, "Young Monroe." Museum Marketing Director Danny Clark has worked directly with the play's directors to keep it as authentic as possible.
"We have a local-based cast who's currently working on the music, itself and also on the play. They're working on the dancing. They're working on the dialect. You know, that western Kentucky accent. They're actors that are really really digging deep to get into the character roles so they can reflect the best version of the Monroes that they possibly can."
The celebration continues tomorrow with more performances, including Earl Scruggs and James Monroe. The new Bill Monroe and the Blue Grass Boys documentary premieres tomorrow morning. For more information on the centennial event, visit bluegrass-museum.org.