Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Thu September 6, 2012
Yarmuth Says Kentucky Delegates Wanted to Show Unified Support for President Obama
As the Democratic National Convention wraps up, Kentucky Democrats are trying to present a more unified front for President Barack Obama.
In this year’s primary, 42 percent of Democrats who cast ballots voted uncommitted rather than for the president. That created a problem for delegates to the party’s national convention, since uncommitted isn’t a candidate.
But this week, almost every Kentucky delegate supported this president's formal nomination.
Congressman John Yarmuth, originally an unpledged delegate, says there may be some discontent with his decision, but it was the right one to make.
“I’m sure there will be somebody out there that says ‘I didn’t vote for him’ but again that’s the way the system works and these delegates are free to cast their votes," he says.
The only Kentucky delegate who didn't vote for the president was Congressman Ben Chandler, who skipped the convention.