Most Active Stories
- Marshall County Judge-Executive Mike Miller Dies; Funeral Arrangements Set
- UPDATED: No Foul Play Suspect in Murray Woman's Death
- Murray Officials Seek Public Feedback on Future of Downtown Projects
- Murray Community Members Discuss How to Rebuild Downtown at Town Hall Meeting
- Eggners Ferry Bridge - Tuesday Night (Dec 23) Closure Cancelled
Fri March 22, 2013
Wiring Taken From Bridge, Cabinet Tries Solar
Solar-powered lights have been placed on a western Kentucky bridge while authorities try to find who is responsible for removing wiring from the bridge's navigational lights. Engineers and technicians placed solar-powered lights on the Kentucky 453 Canal Bridge at Grand Rivers, the northern entrance to the Land Between The Lakes National Recreation Area.
Engineers with the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet say damage could be up to $50,000, and the cabinet says it's prepared to seek charges in the matter. The solar lights are being used to mark the bridge piers and the midpoint of the navigation channel underneath for the safety of commercial, river and pleasure boat traffic. The cabinet says if the solar lights work out, they may become a permanent fixture.