Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Murray State Presidential Search Committee Selects 11 Finalists
Wed February 27, 2013
Whitfield Introduces Bill to Keep Tailwaters Open
U.S. Representative Ed Whitfield has introduced a bill to keep the Army Corps of Engineers from blocking fishing near dams on the Cumberland River, a plan that’s drawn outrage from anglers in Kentucky and Tennessee.
Whitfield met earlier with corps officials and said he was prepared to file legislation if necessary. Whitfield says his Freedom to Fish Act allows continued boating access to river tailwaters for sportsmen and recreational fishermen.
Corps officials have warned boating too close to spillways at the dams is a safety risk. The corps says 14 people have died in the tailwaters below the dams on the Cumberland River since 1970, including three since 2009.