Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
Fri February 15, 2013
Whitfield Demanding USACE Consider Other Solutions for Tailwater Closures
Kentucky’s first district congressman Ed Whitfield demands that the Army Corps of Engineers consider solutions other than permanently closing areas around Cumberland River dams to fishing. Corps officials announced in December they would restrict access 700 feet downstream and 400 feet upstream of the dams because the area is dangerous.
Whitfield and others contend that the area is relatively safe most of the time, so access shouldn’t restricted 24/7. Whitfield says he is introducing legislation that would require a study of the consequences and benefits of a blockade of the tailwater fishing area before any changes are made.