Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Mon September 30, 2013
Western Ky. Mine Settles Discrimination Lawsuit
A western Kentucky coal company has agreed to pay $245,000 to settle a lawsuit alleging that the company turned away African-American job applicants.
A statement from the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission said River View Coal will pay the settlement to a group of black applicants who looked for work at a Union County underground mine.
The EEOC sued the company in 2011 after the parties failed to reach a pre-litigation agreement. The agency said the hiring discrimination, which dates back to 2008, violates the 1964 Civil Rights Act. The settlement also directs the Union County mine to provide hiring reports for two years.