Most Active Stories
- Poll Shows Major Support for Medical Marijuana in Kentucky
- Boating Accident on Kentucky Lake Kills Fisherman
- MSU's Dunn Selected to be Youngstown State's Next President
- Recurring Trials for an Iranian Family – A Microcosm of the Persecution of the Baha’is in Iran
- TVA Eyes Closing Power Units at Shawnee Fossil Plant, Other Coal Facilities
Wed January 16, 2013
Western KY Coal Company Awarded For Reclamaton Efforts
Kentucky officials are honoring some coal companies for efforts to restore the land on former surface mine sites.
For western Kentucky, the Department of Natural Resources is awarding a 2012 Commissioner's Award of Excellence in Reclamation to Madisonville’s Hopkins County Coal. Restoration work at former surface mine sites is mandated by the federal Surface Mining and Reclamation Control Act.