Most Active Stories
- UPDATE: Outgoing CCHS Football Coach Overspent Around $30,000
- House Speaker Stumbo Files Bill to Prohibit Brewery-Owned Distributorships
- Paducah Riverfront Hotel Undergoes Design Changes, Delays Possible
- Local Distillery to Produce George Jones-Brand Moonshine
- Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Officials Say No Regulation for Asian Carp Harvests
Mon February 23, 2009
Webasto to Close
By Angela Hatton
Murray, KY – Murray's Webasto Roof Systems plant will be closing its doors permanently. The company had made auto parts for the ailing national automotive industry. The Murray Ledger and Times reports the company will begin phasing out its 52 employees April 20 and will close their doors permanently July 15. Murray-Calloway County Economic Development President Mark Manning says Webasto will be missed, but hopes to see a larger company move into the building they're leaving behind.
"Even though our unemployment rate is pretty low right now. Actually, it's about the second lowest in the state of Kentucky which is a good thing. Whenever we have good companies that have employment opportunities we typically have more than enough people interested in going to work for them."
Manning says the local Discovery Career Center is already preparing to meet the needs of Webasto workers displaced by the plant closure.