Most Active Stories
- Marshall County Judge-Executive Mike Miller Dies; Funeral Arrangements Set
- UPDATED: No Foul Play Suspect in Murray Woman's Death
- Murray Officials Seek Public Feedback on Future of Downtown Projects
- Murray Community Members Discuss How to Rebuild Downtown at Town Hall Meeting
- MSU President Talks Tobacco Ban, University Marketing Shifts
Thu July 5, 2012
Walker Trial Scheduled to Start Monday
A man accused of setting a fatal fire at Murray State goes on trial again Monday in western Kentucky. Circuit Judge Dennis Foust denied defense motions this week, clearing the way for Jerry Wayne Walker Jr.'s retrial in Benton.
Walker is accused of setting the fire at Murray State’s Hester Hall in 1998. The blaze killed student Michael Minger and seriously injured another student. Defense attorney Dennis Null asked the judge to dismiss the case on grounds that key evidence from the first trial was not discovered until after a jury was unable to reach a verdict in 2001. Another defense motion focused on evidence used for the first case. That evidence is now reported as missing or destroyed.