Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
Wed May 30, 2012
Vote Set for City-County Merger
McCracken County citizens will get their chance this November to decide whether or not to merge the county with the City of Paducah.
Judge-Executive Van Newberry issued an executive order at Tuesday’s Fiscal Court meeting placing the issue on the November 6th ballot. In 2009, the two governments created a commission to study merging them into one charter government. In a series of community meetings earlier this year, commission members presented their draft proposal to residents. Commissioner Jerry Beyer says so far, he hasn’t heard many advantages to a merger, but he does approve of the issue’s appearance on the ballot.
“I’m glad that the people get to vote on it. It’s been discussed by the chamber for a number of years, and this may be a way that we can put it to rest, one way or another.”
In other business, the Court also decided that it would appoint board members for the McCracken County Animal Shelter June 11th.