Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Wed January 23, 2013
Vessel Strikes Mississippi River Lock and Dam
Mississippi River traffic has been halted near St. Louis after a vessel struck a lock and dam yesterday morning.
U.S. Coast Guard spokesman Colin Fogarty says the accident happened around 5 a.m. at Lock and Dam 27 near Granite City, Illinois, just north of St. Louis. No one was hurt but the lock dam was damaged, forcing closure of the structure. Fogarty did not have information about what type of vessel collided with the lock and dam. By late afternoon, 11 southbound and five northbound tows with a combined 87 barges were waiting to get through. It wasn't immediately clear when the lock would reopen.