Most Active Stories
- Significant Accumulations of Snow and Ice Today, Travel Discouraged
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
Wed January 23, 2013
Vessel Strikes Mississippi River Lock and Dam
Mississippi River traffic has been halted near St. Louis after a vessel struck a lock and dam yesterday morning.
U.S. Coast Guard spokesman Colin Fogarty says the accident happened around 5 a.m. at Lock and Dam 27 near Granite City, Illinois, just north of St. Louis. No one was hurt but the lock dam was damaged, forcing closure of the structure. Fogarty did not have information about what type of vessel collided with the lock and dam. By late afternoon, 11 southbound and five northbound tows with a combined 87 barges were waiting to get through. It wasn't immediately clear when the lock would reopen.