Most Active Stories
- Kentucky Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes is Running For Re-Election
- Kentucky School Districts Brace for $8M in State Cuts
- Prairie State CEO to PPS: "We Are Focused on Eliminating Everything that has Brought us Offline"
- State Rep Kenny Imes Announces Bid for Kentucky Treasurer
- Army Study Analyzes Cutting 16,000 Personnel from Fort Campbell
Thu December 20, 2012
Vanderbilt Urges Parents to Buy Helmets with Bikes
A program affiliated with Vanderbilt Hospital says Christmas gifts of bicycles and skateboards need to be accompanied by helmets. The Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt notes that about 135 children die in the U.S. each year in bicycle accidents and 267 thousand are injured.
Safe Children program manager Sarah Haverstick says helmets can reduce the risk of serious brain injury by more than 80 percent.