Most Active Stories
- Forest Service at LBL Cancels Controversial Pisgah Bay Project As Proposed
- Murray Police Respond to WATCH Center; 1 Man Dead from Believed Self-Inflicted Gun Shot
- Kentucky Legislators Grill Cabinet Officials for Not Disclosing Fraud-Comitting WIC Vendors
- Rand Paul Is Skipping Fancy Farm and Why That Matters
- UK Officials Propose $16 Million Dollar Expansion at Princeton Research Center
Thu December 20, 2012
Vanderbilt Urges Parents to Buy Helmets with Bikes
A program affiliated with Vanderbilt Hospital says Christmas gifts of bicycles and skateboards need to be accompanied by helmets. The Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt notes that about 135 children die in the U.S. each year in bicycle accidents and 267 thousand are injured.
Safe Children program manager Sarah Haverstick says helmets can reduce the risk of serious brain injury by more than 80 percent.