Most Active Stories
- Owensboro Airport Expanding
- Kentucky Lawmakers Attack Climate Change Science In Discussion on Carbon Regulations
- Paducah’s Mail Processing Facility Set to Close, Could Lead to Longer Delivery Times
- Lawmakers Skewer EPA, Obama Over Coal Regulations
- Conway: Americans for Prosperity Plan to 'Buy' Ky. House
Thu December 20, 2012
Vanderbilt Urges Parents to Buy Helmets with Bikes
A program affiliated with Vanderbilt Hospital says Christmas gifts of bicycles and skateboards need to be accompanied by helmets. The Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt notes that about 135 children die in the U.S. each year in bicycle accidents and 267 thousand are injured.
Safe Children program manager Sarah Haverstick says helmets can reduce the risk of serious brain injury by more than 80 percent.