Most Active Stories
- Winter Storm: KYEM Upgrades Emergency Activation Level, Travel Discouraged
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
Fri May 31, 2013
USEC Notifies Employees of Paducah Plant Layoffs
The United States Enrichment Corporation is officially notifying employees at the Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant of impending layoffs beginning in August.
USEC announced last Friday that it would not renew its operating lease from the Department of Energy, which owns the plant. Under the federal Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act (WARN) the company must provide notifications 60 calendar days in advance to the plant closing.
The Plant employs more than 1,100 workers.
USEC expects to initially layoff 160 employees between August 5th and 19th and more in the next year depending on business needs. Kentucky Department of Human Services officials are expected to assist Paducah workers with unemployment compensation benefits.