Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Wednesday, March 5
Mon January 20, 2014
USDA Expanding Poverty-Reduction Initiative
Ten western counties are among the 73 in Kentucky joining the StrikeForce initiative, a federal program designed to help poor rural communities take advantage of government resources. The counties in our region are Caldwell, Christian, Crittenden, Fulton, Graves, Hopkins, McLean, Muhlenberg, Todd, and Union. U.S. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack says StrikeForce coordinates programs in community assistance, nutrition, farming, and resource conservation.
They also work with local service agencies and nonprofits to identify community needs where the USDA can help. Vilsack says many USDA programs are underutilized, meaning money that could be spent in rural communities ends up going back to Washington.