Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- Hemp Oil Not a Source of CBD Which Could Be Used in Epilepsy Treatments
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
Wed June 19, 2013
Union City's $100m Discovery Park Will Open November 1st
Union City’s Discovery Park of America opens November 1.
The 50-acre park boasts a flagship “Discovery Center’ with ten educational galleries. An earthquake simulator, a starship theater and 150 ft. observation tower are featured inside the 100,000 sq. center. Outside, the Discovery Park has themed areas, including “liberty square,” “mill ridge” and “the settlement.” Three gardens and a water feature run throughout the park.
Construction on $100m 50 acre park began in 2008, funded primarily by the Robert E. and Jenny D. Kirkland Foundation.
Discovery Park Spokeswoman Mary Nita Bondurant hopes to draw one-hundred-and-fifty-thousand visitors a year and provide the local economy with a hundred new jobs.