Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
- Murray Downtown Disasters: How the City’s Handling Collapsing, Burned Buildings
- Bad Luck: Murray Business Loses Office After Collapse, Then Fire Threatens New Office
Mon March 24, 2014
Two Christian County High School Students Killed in Wreck
Funeral arrangements are being set for two Christian County High School students killed Friday when their truck collided with a parked tractor-trailer on the shoulder of the Martha Layne Collins Bluegrass Parkway.
Dequavius Weaver died at the scene of the accident, while Jacob Blankenship died after being airlifted to the University of Kentucky Hospital. Two other CCHS students suffered injuries in the wreck.
The four students were traveling home from the state Sweet Sixteen basketball tournament.
CCHS principal Michael Stevenson broke the news to staff in an email Saturday.
"It is never easy to put into words an expression of grief and sorrow for the loss of our loved ones," Stevenson said. "During this difficult time, I ask that we show our support for one another. A support team of counselors, social workers, and psychologists from Christian County Schools are making plans to work with our staff and students in efforts to provide counseling and support in the days and weeks ahead."
Services for Blankenship will be held Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. at Lamb Funeral Home, with a visitation from 4-8 p.m. Tuesday. Arrangements are not yet finalized for Weaver.