Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Wednesday, March 5
Tue May 1, 2012
TRA Bill Passes House
Tennessee Governor Bill Haslam's proposal to overhaul the Tennessee Regulatory Authority has passed the House today. The companion bill passed the Senate last week. The two chambers must agree to a technical change before the measure goes to the governor. The TRA regulates utilities in the state. The bill would change the agency from a 4 member, full-time board to a 5 member, part-time board with a full-time executive director. Sponsors say the change will save the state at least $350,000 a year.
The Chattanooga Times Free Press reported earlier this week that Haslam's staff has declined to release some records about the legislation. According to records obtained by the newspaper, the governor's office solicited advice from nearly a dozen regulated utilities or industry associations about the proposal.