Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Murray State Presidential Search Committee Selects 11 Finalists
Thu April 9, 2009
The Toxic Closet
By Jacque Day
Murray, KY – Two months before Vermont became the first U.S. state to legalize gay marriage by legislative vote, a Kentucky senator proposed "The Child Welfare Adoption Act," which many saw as an attempt to restrict gay couples from adopting children. What does it mean to be gay in the Bible Belt? Jacque Day goes in-depth with a Murray State freshman who came out at age 13. She also speaks with Morehead State University professor Dr. Bernadette Barton, and Dr. Vincent Silenzio, an M.D. and a leading researcher in sexual minority health with the University of Rochester.
This report was part of a three-part collaborative series by Jacque Day and Carrie Pond titled "The Struggle for LGBT Rights in Kentucky." The Associated Press, Kentucky awarded the series First Place for Best Enterprise/Investigative Reporting, 2009.