Most Active Stories
- Marshall County Judge-Executive Mike Miller Dies; Funeral Arrangements Set
- UPDATED: No Foul Play Suspect in Murray Woman's Death
- Murray Officials Seek Public Feedback on Future of Downtown Projects
- Murray Community Members Discuss How to Rebuild Downtown at Town Hall Meeting
- Eggners Ferry Bridge - Tuesday Night (Dec 23) Closure Cancelled
Thu January 24, 2013
TN Wins Federal Grant for Food Safety Center
Tennessee is one of five states receiving federal grant money to establish an Integrated Food Safety Center of Excellence.
The center will be located at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville and operated in cooperation with the state Health Department. The department says the new center will allow Tennessee to improve food safety and its response to outbreaks of food-born illness. The effort is funded by $200,000 from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Each year, roughly 48 million Americans get sick from food-born illnesses and 3,000 die.