Most Active Stories
- Mid-Continent Chairman Confirms Layoffs, School Will Operate Through June 30
- Murray High School Assistant Charged with Rape
- Mid-Continent University Appoints Tom Walden as New Acting President
- Former Kentucky Lawmaker John Arnold Cleared of Ethics Charges
- Mid-Continent University "Doing Everything They Can To Stay Open"
Tue May 7, 2013
TN To Use $4 Million In Grants For Leadership Programs
The Tennessee Department of Education plans to use nearly $4 million in federal education funds to pay for eight leadership development programs. The grants are part of the $500 million the state won three years ago in the national Race to the Top education grant competition. Officials say eight recipients received grants, which were awarded to organizations in partnership with one or more school systems.
They are to be used to either develop or replicate programs aimed at increasing leader effectiveness and improving student outcomes. Education Commissioner Kevin Huffman said one main requirement of the grants was to show evidence that the proposed programs are sustainable.