Most Active Stories
- Mid-Continent Chairman Confirms Layoffs, School Will Operate Through June 30
- Murray High School Assistant Charged with Rape
- MSU Transfer Credit Could Be Available for Mid-Continent Students; AG Conway Pledges Support
- Mid-Continent University Appoints Tom Walden as New Acting President
- Former Kentucky Lawmaker John Arnold Cleared of Ethics Charges
Tue July 23, 2013
TN State Lawmaker To Propose Tuition Freeze
A Tennessee Republican wants to freeze tuition at that state’s colleges and universities. Sen. Jim Summerville of Dickson says he plans to file legislation during the next session to keep tuition at the current rates. The Tennessee Board of Regents and the University of Tennessee system recently adopted tuition hikes ranging from 3 to 6 percent. Summerville says the hikes cause students to take out more student loans.
TBR Chancellor John Morgan says the freeze would restrict the ability of colleges and universities to fund needed programs.