Most Active Stories
- First Student To Graduate In May From College To Career Experience Program
- Kentucky Film Tax Incentive Program Draws Production Company to Murray
- Against Residents’ Wishes 250-Year-Old Burr Oak Tree Cut Down On Lake Barkley Bridge Easement
- GOP Gubernatorial Candidates Attack Jack Conway For Not Defending Gay Marriage Ban
- Congressman Whitfield Calls House Ethics Allegations "Absurd"
Tue July 23, 2013
TN State Lawmaker To Propose Tuition Freeze
A Tennessee Republican wants to freeze tuition at that state’s colleges and universities. Sen. Jim Summerville of Dickson says he plans to file legislation during the next session to keep tuition at the current rates. The Tennessee Board of Regents and the University of Tennessee system recently adopted tuition hikes ranging from 3 to 6 percent. Summerville says the hikes cause students to take out more student loans.
TBR Chancellor John Morgan says the freeze would restrict the ability of colleges and universities to fund needed programs.