Most Active Stories
- Murray Couple Receives City's First Same-Sex Marriage License
- Paducah Homebrewer Awakes from Coma Only to Worry About His Beer
- 'Pocket Park' for Local Art Coming to Paducah's Downtown
- It's a Podcycle: Canadian Motorcycle Hall of Famer Phillip Funnell Visits Murray
- Beshear: State Agencies Should Prepare for Gay Marriage Ruling
Tue July 23, 2013
TN Secretary of State Elected President Of National Group
The National Association of Secretaries of State has elected Tennessee Secretary of State Tre Hargett as its new president. Hargett most recently served as the group's treasurer. He has been Tennessee's secretary of state since 2009.
Prior to that, he was a member of the state General Assembly for 10 years and later the chairman of the Tennessee Regulatory Authority. Hargett says citizens are counting on the national group to lead the way in developing best practices for running honest and efficient elections, increasing voter turnout and civic awareness, and protecting people and businesses from unnecessary federal laws and regulations.