Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- Hemp Oil Not a Source of CBD Which Could Be Used in Epilepsy Treatments
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
Tue July 23, 2013
TN Secretary of State Elected President Of National Group
The National Association of Secretaries of State has elected Tennessee Secretary of State Tre Hargett as its new president. Hargett most recently served as the group's treasurer. He has been Tennessee's secretary of state since 2009.
Prior to that, he was a member of the state General Assembly for 10 years and later the chairman of the Tennessee Regulatory Authority. Hargett says citizens are counting on the national group to lead the way in developing best practices for running honest and efficient elections, increasing voter turnout and civic awareness, and protecting people and businesses from unnecessary federal laws and regulations.