Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Wednesday, March 5
Wed January 22, 2014
TN Panel Rejects Campus Voter ID Legislation
Legislation that would let students at public colleges and universities in Tennessee use their campus identification card to vote is dead this session.
The measure sponsored by Democratic Senate Minority Leader Jim Kyle of Memphis was defeated 7-2 this week in the Senate State and Local Government Committee.
The proposal would have amended the voter ID law that the Tennessee General Assembly passed about three years ago.
Last fall, the state Supreme Court upheld the law as it is currently written.
It requires voters to show a state or federally issued ID at the polls but bans the use of IDs from state higher education institutions