Most Active Stories
- Marshall County Judge-Executive Mike Miller Dies; Funeral Arrangements Set
- UPDATED: No Foul Play Suspect in Murray Woman's Death
- Murray Officials Seek Public Feedback on Future of Downtown Projects
- Murray Community Members Discuss How to Rebuild Downtown at Town Hall Meeting
- Eggners Ferry Bridge - Tuesday Night (Dec 23) Closure Cancelled
Wed January 22, 2014
TN Panel Rejects Campus Voter ID Legislation
Legislation that would let students at public colleges and universities in Tennessee use their campus identification card to vote is dead this session.
The measure sponsored by Democratic Senate Minority Leader Jim Kyle of Memphis was defeated 7-2 this week in the Senate State and Local Government Committee.
The proposal would have amended the voter ID law that the Tennessee General Assembly passed about three years ago.
Last fall, the state Supreme Court upheld the law as it is currently written.
It requires voters to show a state or federally issued ID at the polls but bans the use of IDs from state higher education institutions