Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Mon July 8, 2013
TN Offenders can pay fines, fees online or by phone
The Tennessee Department of Correction has added an automated fee payment system for court-ordered fines, fees and restitution. There is a charge to use the online or telephone payment system, but the vendor isn't charging the state for the service. Correction Commissioner Derrick Schofield says the system will free up probation/parole officers to spend more time supervising offenders in communities.
He says it will also result in fewer people going back to jail for failing to pay fees. Offenders who want to avoid the convenience fee can still mail in money orders.