Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
- Murray Downtown Disasters: How the City’s Handling Collapsing, Burned Buildings
Tue January 15, 2013
TN Gov. Haslam Announces School Voucher Program
Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam says he will introduce his own proposal to create a school voucher program in the state, though he declined to elaborate about which parents he wants to make eligible to use public money to send their children to private schools.
Haslam has only said his voucher bill will be targeted at children from lower-income families who attend the state's worst schools. Haslam says his plan will be paid for through the state's school funding formula, but won't say how much the program would cost. Haslam also plans to introduce legislation to give local school districts more flexibility on how they pay teachers.