Most Active Stories
- Mid-Continent Chairman Confirms Layoffs, School Will Operate Through June 30
- MSU Transfer Credit Could Be Available for Mid-Continent Students; AG Conway Pledges Support
- Murray High School Assistant Charged with Rape
- Mid-Continent University Appoints Tom Walden as New Acting President
- Ky. Road Plan Includes $368M for Jackson Purchase
Tue January 15, 2013
TN Gov. Haslam Announces School Voucher Program
Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam says he will introduce his own proposal to create a school voucher program in the state, though he declined to elaborate about which parents he wants to make eligible to use public money to send their children to private schools.
Haslam has only said his voucher bill will be targeted at children from lower-income families who attend the state's worst schools. Haslam says his plan will be paid for through the state's school funding formula, but won't say how much the program would cost. Haslam also plans to introduce legislation to give local school districts more flexibility on how they pay teachers.