Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
Mon July 16, 2012
Tennessee Mom Starts Suicide Prevention Petition
A Middle Tennessee mom is leading the charge to get 10,000 signatures on a suicide prevention petition. Cindy Johnson told The Leaf Chronicle that her goal is to raise awareness of suicide in an effort to prevent it.
Johnson founded and leads the Tennessee Suicide Prevention Network's advisory council for Houston, Stewart, Humphreys and Montgomery counties. Johnson and the organization want people to sign a "Pledge to Prevent Suicide" in an effort to motivate people to actively seek a way to reverse the number of suicides in the state. Johnson says the petition will be presented at a Suicide Prevention Awareness event on Sept. 12 in Nashville and may also be presented to the General Assembly to support policies that aim to prevent suicide and promote mental wellness.