Most Active Stories
- Marshall County Judge-Executive Mike Miller Dies; Funeral Arrangements Set
- UPDATED: No Foul Play Suspect in Murray Woman's Death
- Murray Officials Seek Public Feedback on Future of Downtown Projects
- Murray Community Members Discuss How to Rebuild Downtown at Town Hall Meeting
- Eggners Ferry Bridge - Tuesday Night (Dec 23) Closure Cancelled
2013 TN General Assembly
Tue April 16, 2013
Tennessee House Passes Bill Letting Cities Form School Systems
A measure that would clear the way for Tennessee cities to form municipal school systems has passed the House.
Republican Rep. Curry Todd of Collierville sponsored the proposal that passed 70-24 Monday. The companion bill was also scheduled to be taken up by the full Senate.
The legislation would lift a 1998 ban that forbids municipalities from starting their own school systems. It would benefit six Memphis suburbs seeking to bypass a merger of the Shelby County and Memphis school districts and run their own schools.