Most Active Stories
- Marshall County Judge-Executive Mike Miller Dies; Funeral Arrangements Set
- UPDATED: No Foul Play Suspect in Murray Woman's Death
- Murray Officials Seek Public Feedback on Future of Downtown Projects
- Murray Community Members Discuss How to Rebuild Downtown at Town Hall Meeting
- Eggners Ferry Bridge - Tuesday Night (Dec 23) Closure Cancelled
Fri October 18, 2013
Tennessee Governor Sets Up Judicial Nominating Panel
Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam issued an executive order creating a judicial nominating panel to fill vacancies left after fellow Republican legislators let the Judicial Nominating Commission expire in June.
Haslam says the new panel was necessary to sustain the judicial branch. Attorney General Bob Cooper said last week that the governor still has the power to fill judicial vacancies despite the nomination commission’s end. The 11 members with unexpired terms from the old commission will continue to serve on the Governor’s Commission for Judicial Appointment. Haslam will appoint the remaining six.