Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Thu June 21, 2012
Tamms Prison To Close
Illinois Governor Pat Quinn’s decision to shut down the Tamms Supermax Prison in southern Illinois is drawing praise from human rights groups.
The controversial prison was designed to hold prisoners in long-term solitary confinement. Activists criticize the lack of human contact and eliminating environmental stimuli. Many prisoners suffer from severe mental illness. Amnesty International’s Debra Erenberg says it good news for people who care about human rights.
But the closure will have a significant economic impact on southern Illinois. Over 300 jobs at the prison will be lost. Southern Illinois politicians are berating Governor Quinn for ignoring a proposed 8 million dollar plan to convert the lockup to a medium-security facility.