Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Fri June 28, 2013
Stumbo Loses Redistricting Stay Bid
A three-judge panel has denied a request for a stay in two lawsuits asking that judges redraw legislative boundaries in Kentucky.
Kentucky House Speaker Greg Stumbo sought the motion for a stay. He says it's the General Assembly's job to set the boundaries.
Gov. Steve Beshear has called a special legislative session starting Aug. 19 to deal with the issue.
In writing for the three-judge panel, the district judge acknowledges the Legislature has the primary responsibility to redraw the boundaries and says the court won't interfere. But he says the court has the secondary responsibility to redraw the maps should the legislature fail. He says a stay would interfere with the court's duties.
The panel also set a trial September 23rd in the case.