Most Active Stories
- Poll Shows Major Support for Medical Marijuana in Kentucky
- MSU's Dunn Selected to be Youngstown State's Next President
- Boating Accident on Kentucky Lake Kills Fisherman
- Recurring Trials for an Iranian Family – A Microcosm of the Persecution of the Baha’is in Iran
- Datebook: May 10 - Anna Jarvis Leads First Mother's Day 105 Years Ago
Mon January 5, 2009
Speaker Selected in Session
By Angela Hatton
Frankfort, KY – The Kentucky House of Representatives will elect a new Speaker today, as the 2009 General Assembly gets underway in Frankfort. Former Attorney General Greg Stumbo is challenging long-time House Speaker Jody Richards, and both men are confident of victory. Senate President David Williams is anxious to see who prevails, so negotiations on Governor Beshear's budget-balancing plan can begin.
"You know, in this particular situation, I can work with either one of these guys. I mean, I've had tension from time to time with either one of them, but that's the nature of the beast. Anywhere you have a House and a Senate and a bicameral situation, there's going to be some sort of situation."
The entire House votes for Speaker, but majority Democrats are expected to settle the race in closed caucus before taking the matter to the floor.