Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Fri December 28, 2012
Southern IL Sees Sharp Increase in Child Sex Abuse
An Illinois Department of Children and Family Services report shows a 6 percent increase of child sex abuse across the state, but most of the southern counties have a much higher rate. The report compared sex abuse allegations from July 1 to Nov. 30 of this year to the same time period last year. Massac, Hardin, Johnson and Saline counties all had more than twice the state average of reported child sex abuse.
Seven out of every 10,000 children were sexually abused during the last fiscal year. DCFS spokesperson Dave Clarkin says the department is implementing a reorganization plan that includes hiring more investigators. He hopes lawmakers will decide to fund that plan next month.