Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
Thu June 6, 2013
Southern Baptist Ranks Dip Again As Baptisms Fall
Membership among Southern Baptists has fallen slightly for the sixth straight year. The nation's largest Protestant denomination released in-house statistics yesterday showing that total membership dropped .66% in 2012. The annual report prepared by the Southern Baptist Convention's Lifeway Christian Resources and reported by the Baptist Press news service says there were 105,000 fewer Baptists in 2012 than the year before.
Baptisms fell by 5.5% after a slight increase in 2011. That's considered a particularly important measure of growth for a denomination committed to evangelism. The Southern Baptist Convention did add some 270 individual churches in 2012. And the Nashville-based denomination still has nearly 16 million members.