Most Active Stories
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Tuesday, March 4
Tue January 31, 2012
Soldier Back in Court after Conviction Overturned
By Associated Press
Fort Campbell, KY – A Fort Campbell soldier whose conviction in the murder of three Iraqi detainees was overturned by an appeals court is headed back to a military court for a new sentencing hearing. Last year, a military appeals court overturned the negligent homicide convictions against Staff Sgt. Ray Girouard in connection with the murder of three Iraqi men during a raid outside Samarra in 2006. The hearing scheduled for today at Fort Campbell will determine a new sentence for the remaining convictions of obstruction of justice, conspiracy to obstruct justice and violation of a general order. Girouard was given a 10-year sentence in 2007, and released on parole in 2009. His rank was reinstated after the appeals court overturned part of his conviction.