Most Active Stories
- First Student To Graduate In May From College To Career Experience Program
- Kentucky Film Tax Incentive Program Draws Production Company to Murray
- Against Residents’ Wishes 250-Year-Old Burr Oak Tree Cut Down On Lake Barkley Bridge Easement
- GOP Gubernatorial Candidates Attack Jack Conway For Not Defending Gay Marriage Ban
- Congressman Whitfield Calls House Ethics Allegations "Absurd"
Fri October 19, 2012
Social Media Sensation Dies of Cancer at 13
The western Kentucky boy known for his thumbs-up campaign has lost his battle with cancer. The announcement of his death was posted on his Facebook page, which had 369,000 followers. 13-year-old Lane Goodwin from Beech Grove died Wednesday. The Thumbs-up for Lane campaign has social media fans from all over the world including country music stars, Kentucky basketball coach John Calipari and The Turtleman, Lane’s favorite celebrity. Lane was a fan of the St. Louis Cardinals and fans held signs supporting Lane during the baseball playoffs. Lane was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer in 2010 and had two relapses.