Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Fri November 23, 2012
Small Business Saturday Pays Big Dividends
Many holiday shoppers rush out to big chain stores on Black Friday, but an initiative for local businesses urges people to visit small shops tomorrow. Holiday shopping is crucial for many businesses recovering from a rough economy. Small Business Saturday encourages shoppers to shop locally. Chris Wooldridge is district director for the Kentucky Small Business Development Center. He says small businesses tend to fall off many consumers' "radar" when compared to so-called "big box stores" on Black Fridays and Cyber Mondays, which usher in the Christmas shopping season. Shopping locally during the holidays pays dividends throughout the year, according to the National Federation of Independent Businesses, because small business owners often support civic groups, charities and youth sports.