Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Wed January 22, 2014
Small Bomb Found On Southern IL Railroad
Madison County, Ill. authorities say a bomb found along rural railroad tracks in southwestern Illinois has been deactivated without injury.
The Belleville News-Democrat reports that Norfolk Southern Railroad workers notified sheriff's deputies after finding the bomb Monday near Edwardsville.
A bomb-disposal unit with the Illinois Secretary of State's Office was summoned and deactivated the device made from a small, barbecue grill-type propane tank attached to several flares.
The device was turned over to Norfolk Southern for investigation.
Norfolk Southern spokesman Robin Chapman says the device probably wouldn't have done a lot of damage. Chapman says the railroad track is used only by freight trains.