Most Active Stories
- Marshall County Judge-Executive Mike Miller Dies; Funeral Arrangements Set
- UPDATED: No Foul Play Suspect in Murray Woman's Death
- Murray Officials Seek Public Feedback on Future of Downtown Projects
- Murray Community Members Discuss How to Rebuild Downtown at Town Hall Meeting
- MSU President Talks Tobacco Ban, University Marketing Shifts
Fri June 8, 2012
SIU Receives Clean Coal Grant
Southern Illinois University Carbondale is getting a nearly $300,000 federal grant money meant to develop clean-coal technology.
The grant money bound for the university's Coal Research Center will go towards work on powder coatings to protect boiler and turbine parts from corrosion. In addition to the grant, the university has given more than $140,000 to the center. SIUC was among nine universities chosen to receive a portion of the $2.7 million dollar grant issued by President Obama's administration to further clean coal research.