Most Active Stories
- Snowfall Predictions Grow; Icing Expected in Southern Western Kentucky Overnight
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- 3 Educators Selected For KY Teacher Hall of Fame
Fri June 8, 2012
SIU Receives Clean Coal Grant
Southern Illinois University Carbondale is getting a nearly $300,000 federal grant money meant to develop clean-coal technology.
The grant money bound for the university's Coal Research Center will go towards work on powder coatings to protect boiler and turbine parts from corrosion. In addition to the grant, the university has given more than $140,000 to the center. SIUC was among nine universities chosen to receive a portion of the $2.7 million dollar grant issued by President Obama's administration to further clean coal research.