Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Skies Clear for Sunny Saturday, Be Careful on Roads
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
Wed September 4, 2013
SIU-Carbondale Enrollment Down for 9th Year in a Row
Administrators say fall enrollment at Southern Illinois University in Carbondale is down for the ninth year in row, though the freshman class there is the largest in two decades.
About 17,964 students are now enrolled at the school. That's down 883 from a year ago, or nearly 5 percent. But the university says freshmen enrollment reached 2,571.
That's the most in about 20 years. Meanwhile, undergraduate international enrollment is up by more than 20 percent. The university saw declines in the number of transfer students and those enrolling off-campus and at military locations.
University Chancellor Rita Cheng says the decline reflects the economic pressures on students and families.