Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Mon August 11, 2014
Single Digits Determine Next Houston Co. Sheriff
Houston County, Tennessee, Sheriff Darrell Allison could be unseated by just one vote.
Last week's primary election saw Erin Police Department Assistant Chief and sheriff candidate Kevin Sugg four votes ahead of Allison. County election officials are waiting to count three more ballots, which will not be counted if the voters do not present photo IDs by 4:00 pm today.
According to his campaign Facebook page, Kevin Sugg has been in law enforcement since 1985 and is currently a member of the Leadership Houston County Class of 2014 and the local chamber of commerce. Darrell Allison has served as sheriff since 2010.
Officials say they need to total and certify the election before releasing final numbers, tentatively scheduled for Thursday. As of now, Sugg leads with 1,103 votes to Allison’s 1,099.