Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Murray State Presidential Search Committee Selects 11 Finalists
Wed May 1, 2013
Senators Continue to Criticize Corp of Engineers Dam Restrictions
Kentucky Senators continue to condemn the Army Corps of Engineers decision to restrict access to the tail-waters of Barkley Dam.
Senators Mitch McConnell and Rand Paul both claim the Corps is overstepping its bounds and stunting the regions fishing economy. McConnell says the Corps should work with local fisherman by only closing off the dam when the spillways are open. Corps’ Nashville District Corps’ spokesman Freddie Bell says the spillway option presents a number of problems:
"Under the conditions based approach it was confusing; when they could be in, when they had to stay out, It makes it much more difficult for us to enforce. It doesn’t provide the highest level of safety, having individuals right up against the dam."
Bell adds work continues to install barricades to block access to the dam. Senators McConnell, Paul, Tennessee Senator Lamar Alexander and Kentucky Congressman Ed Whitfield have all sponsored legislation to block the Corp's decision.