Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Tue January 20, 2009
Senator McConnell Comments on Inauguration
By Carrie Pond
Washington, D.C – Today Barack Obama was sworn in as the 44th president of the United States. U.S. Senator for Kentucky Mitch McConnell was among republican leaders that accompanied former President George W. Bush during the event. Though the senator threw his support to fellow Republican John McCain, McConnell says today is a day for all Americans to celebrate.
"For more than two centuries, the peaceful transfer of power between U.S. presidents has served as an inspiration to millions here and around the world. And on this inauguration day, we witness another inspiring event as America's first African American president takes the oath of office from the Capitol steps."
Senator McConnell went on to congratulate President Obama and his family. This is the first time in 15 years that Democrats have had control of the White House and both houses of Congress.