Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
2012 General Assembly
Wed March 14, 2012
Senate Committee Passes Redistricting Bill
A Kentucky Senate committee has unanimously approved a bill that calls for a constitutional amendment to allow lawmakers to divide more counties during redistricting. Bill sponsor Robert Stivers says limits on that complicated the redistricting process this year. Federal law requires that districts be nearly equal in population. But legislators say it's hard to meet that requirement as well as a state requirement to divide as few counties as possible. If approved, the bill would apply to redistricting following the 2020 Census. The bill would also require legislators to remain in session without pay if they don't finish redistricting by April 15, when the session ends.