Most Active Stories
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Tuesday, March 4
2013 KY General Assembly
Tue February 12, 2013
Senate Committee Approves Telephone Deregulation
Kentucky lawmakers are again considering a telephone deregulation bill that drew heavy opposition last year before it was withdrawn. The Senate Economic Development, Tourism and Labor Committee passed the bill Monday, sending it to the full Senate for consideration.
Critics of a similar measure last year charged that Kentucky's poor could lose basic landline service if the measure passed. Proponents offered lawmakers assurances Monday that that wouldn't happen. Sen. Paul Hornback says the measure now specifies that providers would have to ensure telephone service to everyone, including those living in exchanges with fewer than 5,000 customers.