Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Wednesday, March 5
Tue November 13, 2012
Second Evacuation Ordered for Train Derailment Cleanup
Officials are evacuating more than two dozen homes near a train derailment that occurred two weeks ago in southwestern Jefferson County. Louisville-Jefferson County Emergency Management Agency spokeswoman Jody Duncan says 31 homes within a half-mile of the derailment are being evacuated to allow workers to remove hazardous chemicals from some of the tanker cars.
Part of Dixie Highway closed at 6 am Eastern time, and nearby Ohio River traffic is stopped while the chemicals are removed. A previous evacuation emptied the town of West Point, requiring hundreds of people to leave their homes when a chemical fire erupted at the site, injuring three workers. Paducah & Louisville Railway spokeswoman Bonnie Hackbarth says the evacuation could last three to four days.