Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Skies Clear for Sunny Saturday, Be Careful on Roads
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
Mon January 26, 2009
Road Crews Prepare for Winter Weather
By Carrie Pond
Murray, KY – With a severe winter storm on the way, Kentucky's highway crews are on alert. Trucks are out in many counties are already pre-treating roadways. Kentucky Transportation Cabinet spokesman Mark Brown says his team will work as long as it takes to get roads in the best condition.
"We got an arsenal of equipment across the state. We got more than a thousand plows ready to go. State crew supplemented by the contracts crews will work as long as it takes to get roads in the best possible conditions."
The winter storm is expected to enter the Purchase area by 9 p-m, hitting all of western Kentucky before midnight. Another round of precipitation is predicted to start Tuesday evening in the evening. Western Kentucky residents can expect mostly freezing rain and sleet. Forecasters predict snow and ice accumulation in the river counties and Southern Illinois of between 5 and 10 inches. If the winter weather arrives as predicted, Brown advises Kentuckians to stay off the roads. Brown says residents can check on road conditions online at 511-dot-KY-gov or by calling 5-1-1.