Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Thu April 18, 2013
Richie Farmer to be Subject of Grand Jury Meeting
A Kentucky basketball icon turned politician could be the subject of a federal grand jury meeting Friday.
Frankfort defense attorney Guthrie True says the grand jury will look at former Agriculture Commissioner Richie Farmer. The Executive Branch Ethics Commission charged Farmer last month with 42 administrative ethics violations for allegedly misusing government funds and employees while in office.
True, who represents Farmer, says he will be disappointed if Farmer is indicted on federal criminal charges. The Lexington U.S. Attotney Office spokesman Kyle Edelen declined to comment.
Farmer's popularity as the shooting guard for a University of Kentucky team dubbed "The Unforgettables" catapulted him into politics a decade ago. He served two terms as state agriculture commissioner.