Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Skies Clear for Sunny Saturday, Be Careful on Roads
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
Thu April 18, 2013
Richie Farmer to be Subject of Grand Jury Meeting
A Kentucky basketball icon turned politician could be the subject of a federal grand jury meeting Friday.
Frankfort defense attorney Guthrie True says the grand jury will look at former Agriculture Commissioner Richie Farmer. The Executive Branch Ethics Commission charged Farmer last month with 42 administrative ethics violations for allegedly misusing government funds and employees while in office.
True, who represents Farmer, says he will be disappointed if Farmer is indicted on federal criminal charges. The Lexington U.S. Attotney Office spokesman Kyle Edelen declined to comment.
Farmer's popularity as the shooting guard for a University of Kentucky team dubbed "The Unforgettables" catapulted him into politics a decade ago. He served two terms as state agriculture commissioner.