Most Active Stories
- US 641 South Widening Receives Top Priority on Purchase Area Projects List
- UPDATE: Murray State's Provost Is Stepping Down to Be 'On Loan' to CPE
- Kentucky Primary Election Live Blog: James Comer to Seek a Recanvass
- James Comer’s Quest To ‘Pass A Bold Agenda’ Gets Bumpy
- How Could Kentucky Farmers Use Drones?
Thu April 18, 2013
Richie Farmer to be Subject of Grand Jury Meeting
A Kentucky basketball icon turned politician could be the subject of a federal grand jury meeting Friday.
Frankfort defense attorney Guthrie True says the grand jury will look at former Agriculture Commissioner Richie Farmer. The Executive Branch Ethics Commission charged Farmer last month with 42 administrative ethics violations for allegedly misusing government funds and employees while in office.
True, who represents Farmer, says he will be disappointed if Farmer is indicted on federal criminal charges. The Lexington U.S. Attotney Office spokesman Kyle Edelen declined to comment.
Farmer's popularity as the shooting guard for a University of Kentucky team dubbed "The Unforgettables" catapulted him into politics a decade ago. He served two terms as state agriculture commissioner.