Most Active Stories
- US 641 South Widening Receives Top Priority on Purchase Area Projects List
- UPDATE: Murray State's Provost Is Stepping Down to Be 'On Loan' to CPE
- Kentucky Primary Election Live Blog: James Comer to Seek a Recanvass
- James Comer’s Quest To ‘Pass A Bold Agenda’ Gets Bumpy
- How Could Kentucky Farmers Use Drones?
Tue June 16, 2009
Republican Interrupts Press Conference
By Angela Hatton
Nashville, TN – A Tennessee Senate Republican interrupted a news conference Tuesday held by pre-kindergarten advocates. The advocates are asking lawmakers to reject a budget amendment that will change how the state education program receives its funding. Department of Education Commissioner Tim Webb and pre-K advocates oppose a Republican plan that would draw part of the $22 million to fund pre-K from lottery reserves. Webb says the movement of funding makes it easier for the program to be dismantled. Senate Speaker Ron Ramsey interrupted Webb's question-answer session today with reporters and says Republican lawmakers were "offended" by a letter Webb sent to state senators saying the move of funds "would undermine the future stability" of the program.