Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Tue January 14, 2014
Rep. Fischer: Abortion is a Form of Domestic Violence
A Republican lawmaker has amended a bill expanding domestic violence protections for dating couples to include language limiting abortions.
Rep. Joe Fischer of Ft. Thomas says he believes abortion is a form of domestic violence.
“The most brutal form of domestic violence is the violence against unborn children," Fischer said. "And, this particular bill would prohibit abortions after the fetus feels pain, which is 20 weeks and older.”
The amendment will have to come up for inclusion on the House floor. It's likely to attract criticism from Democrats who will say it isn’t germane to the legislation.
The bulk of scientific literature on the subject suggests that fetuses do not feel pain before 24 weeks of gestation.
The United States Supreme Court declined to hear an appeal of a similar case today (Monday) regarding an Arizona law that would ban abortions at 20 weeks. That effectively preserved a previous ruling that the Arizona law was unconstitutional.