Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- Hemp Oil Not a Source of CBD Which Could Be Used in Epilepsy Treatments
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
Tue January 14, 2014
Rep. Fischer: Abortion is a Form of Domestic Violence
A Republican lawmaker has amended a bill expanding domestic violence protections for dating couples to include language limiting abortions.
Rep. Joe Fischer of Ft. Thomas says he believes abortion is a form of domestic violence.
“The most brutal form of domestic violence is the violence against unborn children," Fischer said. "And, this particular bill would prohibit abortions after the fetus feels pain, which is 20 weeks and older.”
The amendment will have to come up for inclusion on the House floor. It's likely to attract criticism from Democrats who will say it isn’t germane to the legislation.
The bulk of scientific literature on the subject suggests that fetuses do not feel pain before 24 weeks of gestation.
The United States Supreme Court declined to hear an appeal of a similar case today (Monday) regarding an Arizona law that would ban abortions at 20 weeks. That effectively preserved a previous ruling that the Arizona law was unconstitutional.