Most Active Stories
- City of Murray Eliminates City Administrator Position
- Workers Recovering after Explosion at Moonshine Distillery
- Kentucky Revenues Up Amid Greater Demands in Next Budget
- First Student To Graduate In May From College To Career Experience Program
- Kentucky Man Benefits From Pump Treatment for Parkinson's Disease
Tue January 14, 2014
Rep. Fischer: Abortion is a Form of Domestic Violence
A Republican lawmaker has amended a bill expanding domestic violence protections for dating couples to include language limiting abortions.
Rep. Joe Fischer of Ft. Thomas says he believes abortion is a form of domestic violence.
“The most brutal form of domestic violence is the violence against unborn children," Fischer said. "And, this particular bill would prohibit abortions after the fetus feels pain, which is 20 weeks and older.”
The amendment will have to come up for inclusion on the House floor. It's likely to attract criticism from Democrats who will say it isn’t germane to the legislation.
The bulk of scientific literature on the subject suggests that fetuses do not feel pain before 24 weeks of gestation.
The United States Supreme Court declined to hear an appeal of a similar case today (Monday) regarding an Arizona law that would ban abortions at 20 weeks. That effectively preserved a previous ruling that the Arizona law was unconstitutional.